Celebrating 23 years, Kmart together with The Salvation Army are helping to show others that they are not alone.
Who does the Appeal help?
The Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal helps everyone. We receive a lot of gifts for children, but we also distribute gifts for everyone that might be having a hard time. Thanks to our Appeal partner The Sallies, everyone including adults and seniors are assisted by the Wishing Tree Appeal.
How did the Appeal get started?
The idea for the Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal began in 1987 when an Adelaide Australia team member suggested Kmart use its wide network of stores as gift collection points to assist charity groups at Christmas time. This idea spread across the business and our New Zealand teams helped grow the Appeal to what it is today.
What have we accomplished?
The Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal is new Zealand’s largest and longest running Christmas gift appeal. Thanks to the incredible generosity of New Zealanders, the Appeal has raised more than 420,000 gifts that have been distributed to those in need. In 2015, the Appeal successfully collected more than 44,000 gifts nationally.
How can you participate?
There are several different ways in which you can participate in the Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal.
Give a Gift in store
With your gifts in tow, visit your nearest Kmart store and take a tag from the Wishing Tree. Using one end of the tag, indicate the age group and gender you think might like to receive your gift. All you need to do then is place the gift under the Wishing Tree. Don’t forget to take the other half of the tag to hang on your tree at home.
Alternatively, you can leave your gift/s at the Express Drop Off point located at the front of our stores. A representative from The Sallies will then collect the gifts from Kmart stores and oversee the distribution to those in need.
Gifts do not need to be purchased from Kmart; they can be purchased from any retailer, or can even be hand-made. We are, however, unable to accept used or second-hand goods. Gifts given to the Appeal do not need to be wrapped.
Find your nearest store
Gift giving is a very important part of the Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal, but cash contributions are also required so that The Sallies can continue assisting people in need. As an alternative to contributing gifts is an online contribution which you can do through visiting our supporting charity partner’s website.
Give as a group
If you are a group or business and would like to support the Wishing Tree Appeal, please register your interest by filling out the form in the link below.
Some fun ways you can get involved in the Appeal:
- Put a charitable spin on your workplace or school Kris-Kringle or Secret Santa this year - instead of pulling each other's names out of a hat you could each pull out a different age group and gender to buy for and put these gifts under your nearest Kmart Wishing Tree.
- Hold a fundraiser such as a BBQ lunch for your workplace, and use the money raised to donate to the Appeal.
- Be very generous and donate staff bonuses or team building money to those less fortunate.
- Organise a bake sale or mini-fete with all the money raised going towards a donation to the Appeal.
If you require any additional information or have any queries, please call Stella Wang, Kmart NZ Head Office, Phone: +64 9 279 6108 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Give money in store
As an alternative to donating gifts, you can make a cash contribution in any Kmart store.
- This year we have designed gift tags for you to give to your loved ones. Simply grab a bauble tag from the registers and scan it at any register to add $1 contribution to your transaction.
- Press the give button at the self-serve checkouts to add a contribution to your transaction.
- Take a tree tag off the Wishing Tree at any Kmart store and scan it at any register to add a contribution to your transaction.
- Drop a coin at the coin collection box located at the registers.
Find your nearest store
Wishing Tree for Kids
Are you looking for an opportunity to teach your children the importance of giving? Make the 2016 Kmart Wishing Tree Appeal part of your Christmas plans and come in store and share the joy of giving.